The DMW singer has been bubbling under since he teamed up with Davido in 2016. He enjoyed instant admiration with early singles like ‘Eleko’ and ‘Love You Tire’, which led to him picking up the Headies award for ‘Rookie of the year.’
The following years has seen his profile continue to rise with his hit singles, like ‘Sade’, ‘Mama’, ‘Che Che’, ‘Bobo’, ‘Posh’, and contributions to the label’s collaborative songs, ‘Mind’ and ‘Aje’, with him headlining his debut event, ”Mayor of Lagos” in December 2017, with this year’s edition already announced for December 14.
Mayorkun’s debut album ”The Mayor of Lagos” [TMOL] contains 14 songs and a notable list of guest appearances including Sarkodie, Davido, D’banj, Patoranking and members of his label.
Here is my first listen take of Mayorkun’s ”Mayor of Lagos” album. (Note: This is not a review)
1. ‘Intro (Feelings)’ – The song opens with Mayorkun telling his story, retracing his steps and sharing the experiences that has led him to this point in his career, it then ends with a recording of a phone conversation with his Mum as she says some words of prayers; which is fast becoming the new trend with musicians.
‘Feelings’ is one that will actually get you in your feelings ahead of the musical journey that he is about to take his listeners.
2. ‘Sope’ – Which means ‘Give Thanks’ has Mayorkun in his most grateful mood, as he recounts every of his successes on a groovy beat.
3. ‘Tire’ – Produced by DMW’s Fresh tells a tale of affection as he appreciates his love interest and declares hiw willingness to do anything for her. This is a smooth tune with Ghanaian influences in his sound.
4. ‘Fantasy’ – The song inspired by Olu Maintain‘s ‘Yahooze’ is a party starter.
5. ‘Aya Mi’ – Mayorkun slows the tempo on this DJ Coublon assisted record. The mid-tempo song is another one where he has been struck by the love arrow and would fit into wedding playlists this December.
6. ‘Posh’ – Previously released and a certified hit banger, which gets better with every listen.
7. ‘Oshepete’ ft D’Banj – D’Banj brings not just his energy but also the harmonica back on this Afrobeat inspired record where Mayrokun displays his versatility in vocals and delivery.
8. ‘Jonze Me’ ft Sarkodie – A solid collaboration as Sarkodie’s bars complement Mayorkun’s singing.
Then there are records like the absolutely brilliant‘Drama Queen’, ‘Mofo’ featuring Patorankingand ‘Red Handed’ that sees members of his DMW join the party.
Other previously released singles ‘Bobo’ ft Davido, ‘Che Che’ and ‘Mama’ make up the final songs on the album.
My Thoughts: Mayorkun understands how to make hit songs and armed with talented producers both from his label in Speroach and Fresh and outside with Kiddominant, DJ Coublon, Killertunes, Lussh, Phantom and North Boi, his job is made easy as they all provide him with banging beats to work with.
The album contains a number of party jams, which Mayorkun has proven to be very skilled with, but also provides love and feel-good anthems and the collaborators do not outshine him on any of the records. ”The Mayor Of Lagos” is a fairly impressive debut effort and one that will light up the airwaves for a while.